Movicel, officially known as Movicel Telecomunicações S.A., is a telecommunications company operating in Angola. The company was established on July 1, 2003, as a subsidiary of the state-owned Angola Telecom. In 2010, a significant shift in the company's ownership structure occurred when 80% of its capital was sold to various private entities, namely Portmil - Investimentos e Telecomunicações, S.A., Modus Comunicar, S.A., Ipangue, S.A., Lambda Investment, and Novatel Wireless. The remaining 20% of the company's capital continues to be held by state-owned companies Angola Telecom and ENCTA. Movicel's headquarters are located in Luanda, the capital city of Angola. The company operates within the telecommunications industry, primarily offering GSM-based mobile communication services. This includes voice communications, text and multimedia messages, and mobile internet access. Movicel has an extensive coverage network, reaching all 18 provinces of Angola.
Movicel – Telecomunicações, S.A.
Network Operator
Movicel Logo

3G Network

The company investigated refarming its 2G 900 MHz spectrum to deploy its B8 (900 MHz) UMTS network, which was confirmed as active in 2012.

    Network Frequency Band Status
    Date Event Subtype
    Launch of 3G Network

    4G Network

    Despite the company's size, Movicel was first to market in Angola with their LTE service on B3 (1800 MHz) going live in April 2012.

      4G Frequency Bands
      Network Frequency Band Max. Channel Bandwidth Status
      Date Event Subtype
      Launch of 4G Network